Friday, October 6, 2006

and then this happened (continued)

Who knows what would have happened if Marquise hadn't walked by. Why would an 11 year-old boy be walking by just before 6 a.m. on a Sunday morning.  He saw my door wide open, saw the broken glass and had the courage to walk in and see what happened. The men saw him and ran out of the house. They were in my house while I was there. I try not to think about it too much because it kinda freaks me out. The thing that hurts the most is that despite just waking up, I recognized one of those faces on the front porch.

He looks like he is in his 20's and he was one of the first guys in the projects that talked to me. He asked me about what I did and asked me to pray for him and he seemed to look out for me. I gave him food a bunch of times, sat and talked, gave him some tokens and would buy dumb stuff from him like old paintings of Alaska or bootleg CD's that I didn't care about. He actually gave me a decent bike that was in need of repairs and he walked right past his old bike to take the new one that I had just been given. After the incident happened he even had the nerve to try and blame Marquise for what happened.

Marquise sleeps on my couch downstairs whenever stuff goes on at his house. Pretty much his whole family, including his great-grandmother drink and smoke weed and really neglect him a lot. Sometimes he tells her he needs to leave and go to a safe place and he says that's my place. His great-grandmother almost encourages him to leave the house. I don't know what to do or think about him, but I know that he needs people like me in his life, and I need him to survive in my neighborhood, and in him I see Jesus and i see a picture of the kingdom of God, and that is beautiful.  

No comments: