Thursday, December 21, 2006

Coming Home

It's always weird for me to come home, but I love it. I guess Carroll County is my home, but Philly is my Home home now. Driving south across the 76 bridge out of Philly and seeing my city lit up at night in my rear-view mirror brought such joy to my heart. Coming home always gives me time for reflection, and not just because I mainly come home for the holidays. I like to walk around in my backyard and in the field behind my house and it reminds me of all the sports, sledding and imaginative activities that took place and shaped me. It's not as big as it was when i was little. In a lot of ways i hate growing up b/c i can't just be a kid anymore and it reminds me of things that i wish were different about how i was as a kid, but it still is so weird to me to realize I'm an adult now and now is the time to be the person I have talked about becoming since high school and college.

It makes me realize all the things that i used to take for granted and now that I have to pay for my stuff I realize just how much stuff i had growing up. When I open my parents fridge and see a whole bunch of food and fancy cheese and stuff, i immediately start thinking about my food budget and how much it would cost at Aldi's. I don't usually do much stuff at my parent's house. It's usually just a sleep in and do nothing time for me, which probably gives my family a bad impression, but it's kinda nice to have a break from my doorbell ringing every half hour and me having to be "on" or take someone somewhere, do something constructive with kids or deal with some crisis. It's nice to have a break, but I enjoy the constant stream of interaction I experience in my neighborhood.

I just watched Apollo 13 and that always makes me wish so badly that I could have been an engineer for NASA in the 70's. When they dump the box on the table and have a limited amount of stuff to create a workable CO2 filter that makes me so energized. It reminds me of that whole engineering part of me that is so real, but yet I'm seemingly ignoring right now. I hope I can figure out some way to realize that part of me in the context of Philly and community development. Watching An Inconvenient Truth the other day made me realize just how important artistic ingenuity will be in conserving energy and creating new solutions to old problems. Hopefully i can use my love for science and creating things to contribute to those issues.

I'm excited to be home for Christmas and spend time with my family, but I am so excited to go back home to Philly and get started on the work that I have been created to pursue!!!!!!!! My friends tell me i'm crazy to be excited about starting a job and excited about not being able to sleep in and stay up as late as I want, but i want that now. I think that my job will allow me to contribute to the coming and present kingdom of God, specifically in my neighborhoood and that excites me to the point of bursting!

No comments: