Sunday, December 10, 2006

Looking to Move some Cake

'm looking to move some cake...there's a tower of Pillsbury Halloween Cake mixes on my dining room table with some Halloween icing turrets surrounding it. I've been trying to figure out what to do with it all ever since i got home from shopping on Saturday. I mean really, how often are you going to find real cake mixes and icing on sale for 10 cents a piece? So i have 17 cake boxes and 9 icing containers on my table (i've already used one of each). I'm not exactly sure what that says about me.

I took Buddha (5), Percy (13), and Country(17) to Aldi's with me cruising around in Miss Linda's van. Buddha's birthday was last weekend and he started throwing a monster temper tantrum when I wouldn't buy him a toy. We tried to calm him down, but he was not to be moved, so Country put him over his shoulder and took him out to the van. Pretty much everyone in the store stopped to focus on the tantrum. It was actually convenient for a change to be white b/c i could just pretend that i didn't know any of them. He calmed down and I returned for the cake mixes. I drew several people's attention to the heavily discounted cart of cake and there was a mad swoop for as much cake and icing as people could grab and we shared a common excitement as we waited in the really long line.

Kinda funny b/c all this happened right before I went to help the Mission Year group with their poverty simulation dinner before they spent the evening sleeping out on the streets. It's definitely important to be continually reminded of the overwhelming world facts about food and resource distribution, because they so easily become distant and impersonal after hearing them so many times. I thought about last year and how much time I spent w/ homeless friends and how I have gotten away from that and really need to get back to that. I started thinking that I could make a ton of cake and take it to center city and just hang out and eat cake with homeless friends, but then I realized that a lot of homeless people are diabetic and eating really really sweet cake besides not being nutritious is incredibly harmful for many folks.

What good could i do with all this cake? I'm thinking that I'll just give it to the Sal or throw a party for myself there when I finally get a self-sustaining job and invite as many kids and families as possible, but i'm definitely opened to ideas about what I can do with 17 boxes of halloween sprinkle cake. Give me your thoughts.

No comments: