Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I love this game


Tonight's the MLB All-Star game. I love baseball, and although the game is tainted because of steroids, to me it is still such a pure game. Part of my love for the game is because of my
childhood. Playing baseball, going to baseball games, collecting cards and watching on tv. My dad would order the special summer package, which also included the disney channel so that we could watch Orioles games in the summer. No a/c, but i'd rather have baseball. I've always struggled to feel close to my dad, but he speaks the language of baseball and I know he loved me the way that he would practice in the back yard, shag flies in Mr. Dustins fields, go to the little league fields or wherever. He loves baseball. His parents didn't let him play a whole lot as a kid, and I think he wanted to give us that chance. I was never the best, had some decent strengths, but I loved the game, and I loved to play it the way it was made to be played.

The all-star game was always one of the highlights of the summer for me. I remember being 11 and going to the all-star fan fest in Baltimore. To this day, it is one of my highlights from being a
kid. I think I liked it better than disney world. The all-star game was the only other day besides New Years that my brother and sister and I could stay up past midnight. Watching the all star game was a big to-do. My mom made special snacks and we were allowed to pick out our favorite
foods at the grocery store. The three of us kids would camp out in the family room and have our own sibling sleepover. Tonight as I watch the game, away from my brother and sister, cheering for a different team than I grew up following I'm still the same kid that loves the game that is so simple, pure and elusive. In four days my sister will be married and us kids won't be the same as we were. I remember tearing up my first visit to africa just after Heidi was engaged seeing an "Africa Tree" for the first time after growing up with our "Africa Tree" in our back yard. Things change and change can be good, but there is just something sweet and simple about the way things used to be. Go Phillies and NL!

1 comment:

HappyHeidi said...

Those are some of my favorite memories too. It's kind of funny how much we looked forward to the all-star game. Good times...