Sunday, July 12, 2009

La Feria!


Sadly, there are many orphans in this world, both physically and spiritually. Many time, physical orphans embody the shining characteristics of confident sons of the Father. As a son, i have a heart for sons that are fatherless. What beautiful and intelligent children wander the streets of Guatemala. Without much family beyond the fraternity of children in similar circumstance, they are forced to do life together in a way in which God never intended them to live. The city center in Antigua is marked by the young boys with their lunch pales that head off to work seeking out tourists and residents to shine their shoes for a small fee. We had been talking about the kids throughout the day, small boys, older boys and some men all wandering around trying to make some kind of living by shining shoes. What happens to them after they shine the shoes, where do they sleep at night, where will they be in five years? These questions ran through my head as I strolled through the tranquil pastel colonial mecca. We were talking through some hard conversation and were praying at the park when several of the kids scurried up and dove for my shoes interrupting our prayertime. We began talking to the kids about things, their names, family, and soccer. I love how universal soccer is, i love to talk about it with people from all over the world.



As much as I love Guatemala, their soccer team is really dirty. I can't stand Carlos Ruiz, their best player and so I tried to convert them, to no avail to my perspective. At least we could agree on Barca. In the midst of our discussion we started talking about la feria, which was in town. The rides cost only a few quetzales, less than a dollar and I imagine that they don't have many chances to celebrate and to just be kids. Over the past few years, celebrating has become something important, especially to those that have so much stress, so many burdens, pain and not enough resources to just stop and celebrate life and enjoy. Before you knew it, we were off to the fair. Three kids joined us, but by the time we had gotten there, we were eight in number. The kids were so eager and so excited hugging us and grabbing our hands and talking about which rides they wanted to go on. I definitely have Yes Man tendencies and so there wasn't a thought in my mind as we got there and the rides looked to be a bit shady and non-Osha approved. One of the little boys was afraid to ride the ride and so he held our bags and screamed to us as we went past him forwards and backwards around and around. The simplicity of our stripped down spanish conversation as we whirled around at high speeds, our stomachs dropping out and a bit fearful for our safety but feeling so alive and knowing that the kids felt it too. You can't get better than that.

We went to the bumper cars next, which didn't have petals as they just jerry-rigged the wires when you paid your five quetzales. All the signs were in French, and i wondered where this recycled ride had come from and how safe it was. These thoughts were gone as soon as the ride started and the kids eyed us up and started coming for us. Driving is something that always makes kids feel like grown-ups and feel in control and the kids had a blast and I laughed from my gut, that good kind of laugh when life makes sense despite so much uncertainty. We enjoyed a few more rides and returned to the unsafe rueda locura and enjoyed the lights and perspective on the city. To me that view is just as spectacular as the view from the hill of the cross high above the city. We enjoyed some tacos and treats, mine tasted like tacos al jabon, pero todo esta bien. What a great time. We walked back and bought some grapes. I snuck a math question in as I asked Carlos how much change we should receive from the uvas. Two of the kids were fake fighting on the ground and just having a blast. We had a great time with the kids, i love kids, i love the things they teach me about myself, about the parts of myself i need to let die, the parts i need to cultivate and when to just shut up and enjoy things for what they are, where i am. I went back to the U.S. and I can only imagine where those kids are tonight, but they will stay with me. Groggily standing in the elevator heading up to work, I look at my shoes and I smile at the lessons and great times we shared together. Kids shouldn't have to live alone, have to work or hustle to get by, but it was beautiful for me to see the community, the fellowship and the closeness that they share. Someday I'd love to work with the street kids of Guatemala so they don't have to live by themselves. They may be orphans in this world, but they sure know a lot about fellowship and community and have lots to teach people like me.

No comments: