Friday, July 31, 2009

Save the Elephants?


The thought of going to the lush mountains in Northern Thailand to ride elephants was so enchanting and exciting to me. We got there and the elephant camp rises above a winding stream meandering through trees and bamboo plots. I saw several elephants bathing in the water, but shortly thereafter noticed the chains around their feet and neck's. We walked up to them and they reached up to the bridge to put straw hats on our heads to welcome us, shaking our hands with their dextrous trunks. They voluntarily acclimated us to their imposing, yet gentile presence with which we would interact throughout the day. It was amazing, they are so massive, yet graceful and weak. The first thing I noticed were there eyes, and I focused on them the rest of the day. They looked so tired and sad to me. Maybe all elephant eyes do, I don't know. I suppose I spent the day trying to judge the camp and whether or not they cared for elephants or exploited them. Maybe there is a very fine line between the two and I certainly am no expert to do this, but questions need to be asked to ensure their protection, right? I looked at their website after the fact and got a completely different feel for the gentle giants looking at the website than the atmosphere at the park. The two didn't match up to me, you know? I truly believe they desire to conserve and protect elephants, but it felt too much like a prison and was too contrived to me. People are often the same way, the website version of our lives would be flashy and so inspiring, but yet in reality and in our hearts, the actual version fails to capture the spirit we long for. Its important to recognize that we are human and fall short of who we want to be and that in surrendering to our expectations we can be made whole and complete in Jesus. I see that as I wander around beautiful yet Buddhismally lost Thailand. Maybe I think too much, but I think God's given me a cool mind and speaks to me always about his love for me and my need to rest in it. I love that and i need it, thanks Papa. I will write about the elephants later, i was able to appreciate them and enjoyed the mountains of Thailand, but the chains they wore and the sad look in their eyes made me wonder if this was such a good idea. I did love getting hugged by three elephants and it tickled almost as much as the Thai foot massage! I proudly sported my yellow football jersey which has several elephants on it and I think they were partial to me ;c)

No comments: