Saturday, August 1, 2009

Hello Moto

Riding through Bangkok on the back of a moto was as much fun as riding an elephant in the mountains. I loved it. I feel free and who i am supposed to be when i'm in the city. I connect to God there. I love being in the open. Cars are so stiffling and disconnected from the environment, but motos can weave in and out of traffic and bypass the stagnancy and really make the most of the cityscape. We passed many shrines, temples, colors buildings, children smiling, tired faces, lots of food vendors and others selling their wares. Passed malls, schools and parks. The ride from the city to my hotel is a bit far, so we took the moto to the train station, rode the train and then i walked the streets a bit before finding a taxi and speaking a few words of Thai and gripping my hotel direction card tightly. Culture is amazing. Talking Liverpool and Manchester City football in stunted English while Thai radio dj's talked rapidly and the only words I could understand were "Neyo" and "Green Day" in the midst of the tonal hodgepodge. I giggled.

No comments: