Friday, August 28, 2009

Reclaiming the Hood

The president of Mission Year sent out his newsletter and as I read through it, it was a good reminder to me why I moved to West Philly and why when I settle down whereever and whenever that may be, my heart is in the hood. I miss Philly


08/26/09 | Reclaiming the Hood

Dear Friends,

I live in the hood, and it is the place where I want to live by choice. I have not been forced to live where I live, nor are my choices limited. I think it is a great place to live. In fact, I believe it is one of the better places to live. It certainly has it challenges that drive me crazy but it is home, and there is no place like home in the hood.

I am often asked why I have chosen to live in a neighborhood like the one in which I live, and I am often criticized for inviting others to live here as well. It’s as if I have asked them to commit a crime of some sort! I have heard every reason why I should leave from "how can you raise your kids there?" to "you grew up there, why would you want to stay?" I have had people from all races declare the place where I live as a terrible place. My choice of home has been referred to as a zoo, a hell hole and an insane asylum. And these are the things that are said to me directly! I can’t imagine what is said when I am not there.

The hood has been a place where people who live there are constantly told they should be looking to get out. In fact, those who were able to "escape" have done so joyfully. I understand the challenges, but this escape mentality is flawed because it leaves millions of people left to think they are nothing because they don’t have what it takes to get out. I just can’t see how that works. I can’t see how it is ok to label that many people as inadequate.

The hood has taken on this negative connotation because the only things talked about are the challenges, but there is incredible beauty in my neighborhood as well. Let's start with the fact that I do indeed know my neighbors and most people in my hood know their neighbors. The people who live on your block are people you get to know. I am not best friends with all my neighbors, but I do know when they work and their schedule. I can tell if something is not right around their house or if there is a strange face around. Another cool thing about my neighborhood is that there are neighbors here who have lived here for 40, 50, and 60 years. They represent history and their lives and stories always encourage me and give me examples of stability to point my children towards. My hood also knows how to celebrate, and on any given holiday you will see family and friends gathered together to spend time with each other. This is because we have elderly neighbors whose homes are where the family gathers together on special occasions. It's really good to see traditions continued around here. There are also the neighborhood stores that people can walk to. These stores are not always in the best shape, but they are vital to people who don’t have cars to get to larger markets.

In a hood where you usually hear about low-income levels, crime, and bad schools, there exists some great beauty to admire. Our team members get an opportunity to see this firsthand as we build relationships. You have supported us financially in making this happen. You can also experience this by taking time to look past the hype of the day and see the incredible people that are there. When is the last time you looked for beauty in the middle of your city? I recommend a visit with new eyes - eyes that see people as part of God’s wonderful creation. I think we all could use a little of the hope that rests in the middle of the hood.

With Love and Thanks,

Leroy Barber
Leroy Barber, President
Mission Year

1 comment:

Lindsay Brown said...

you can take the boy out the hood, but you cant take the hood out the boy. home is where your heart is man. god has given you a heart like that for a reason. when are you moving back?