Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Can't Beet Em


This picture doesn't do justice to the restaurant where we ate lunch today. It was absolutely stunning. I took a few pictures of my own. After I went to the bathroom, I told my co-worker Reni that the bathroom was so nice I might take a picture of it. She laughed and half an hour later, when she returned from the bathroom, she said, "Yeah, Pete, you need to take a picture of the bathrooms."
I am a touch overwhelmed by how blessed I am in my new job. I am paid to travel the world, do math and ensure proper research, meet brothers and sisters in Christ, participate in some evangelism outreaches, like tomorrow in Kiev and I'm participating in a distribution of the Book of Hope in Kenya as well, and my "ministry associates" at Metadigm are so awesome and encouraging. I'm real excited to be a part of this organization and feel like I have a much better picture of what I'm doing and what we do as an organization.

I had borscht, which is a real traditional Ukrainian beets, potato and beef soup (see picture below). I hated beets growing up, but I had this soup and I could eat it every day. Today at lunch was the second time I had it and it was so good. Who knew I could like beets? They julienne the beets and they are crispy but flavor infused and there are chunks of potatos that absorb so much flavor and are really soft. Oh it is so good. They put sour cream on everything, especially borscht. They also cook pretty much everything in lots of butter. I had Caucasian Style Veal for my main course, which I found hilarious, but Ilya just laughed at me and explained to me that it's from the Caucus region and that's how they prepare it there.
Last night I had a salad with roquefort cheese and bacon that was served on a fresh baked roll. It was the best meatless sandwich I've ever had. It was one of the best meals I've had in a long time, although they did play an entire Enrique Iglesias album which was just awful. The coffee isn't very good here though. I can deal with it in the short term and could import it in.

No comments: