Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Never gonna be a "Floridian"

Most of you know that I'm no longer in Philly. I no longer live in the Hood. It's very weird to live in richpeopleville, USA with palm trees and the beach close by my house. I live 2 minutes from Whole Foods and right next to Florida Atlantic University's main campus. I hate driving so much, and my GPS (Gackenbach Positioning System) hasn't fully synched to So Flo yet. Being here is definitely a confrontation of my values and what is dear to me and what I'm comfortable with. The most comfortable place I've been was hanging out with homeless folks under the bridge in the artsy part of Ft. Lauderdale.

I've only been here a week, but it has been crazy, God has blessed me ridiculously, shown me a window into unbelievable community and reminded me of His place of priority and frontness in my life. I've slept on three couches and won't have my own room til November. My brother always talks about being ready to live lightly and not be too heavily rooted and that's exactly how I feel ahorita. On Saturday, I leave for the Ukraine for a week and I managed to book my flight to give me a 25 hour layover in Paris, so I will be stumbling around there for a day! I come back for a week only to leave for Kenya for 20 days on October 23rd. I'm so excited to go, but I'm going to miss Halloween and the World Series crown that my Phighten's will hopefully capture. I love my new job and I'm still acclimating myself, but this is so unreal. I love my coworkers already and the work atmosphere is so conducive to my style of working and I feel like I can joke around and enjoy them, but have already been able to contribute.

I've found some good rockbanding friends, gone to a great concert, taken a boatride from Ft. Lauderdale down to Miami and hung out at the beach a few times. God has a crazy sense of humor is all I can say. Much more to come. I miss Philly like crazy though. Even got back on the space just to stay in touch and everyone knows how much I hate Myspace.

No comments: