Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Stolen from Emails


I have a bit of an internet connection here and I have skype so I can call anyone to your computer with a built in microphone or a headset for free on my computer! It's a beautiful thing and as Napoleon (Dynamite and not Bonaparte) says, "I love technology!" I confess that most of this entry is stolen from emails i sent to others. Deal with it ;cp

I had a beautiful stroll exploring the streets of Kiev last night. I got such a better idea of the city than the time that we spent here earlier. There are a ton of expensive clothing places, many of them in the what seems to be miles of underground shopping areas, which are a touch dirty but are spruced up by chic bistros, bars and coffee spots. I swear one out of every two people walking by had a long stemmed rose or other flower in their hands, including the men. If they didn't have a flower, they were probably drinking a beer. Lots of alcohol. We went to a Ukrainian buffet last night and I really like the food here. It's rather different. There are some gorgeous pedestrian walkways and there are all these underpasses so that the people walk under the traffic bustling above them. That's where all the shops and such come into play as well as hustlers and all the flower venders with their wide array of fresh cut flowers. Kiev, like most cities has a vivid contrast of old verse new and it's really interesting to see the dynamic because much of the history and architecture is above ground and in the forefront while the modern parts sprout off and shoot up side streets and avenues and take up the underground. There are all kinds of fountains, sculptures and monuments. Lots of gold, domed roofs and sweeping views of the city and the river that divides it. You can tell it'd be gorgeous in winter with a bit of snow and a frozen river. Dad would love it I'm sure. There are some really tall statues and gorgeous business and governmental buildings that surround the independence plaza.

This is from an email i sent to someone from Philly it has a bit about my job. It's 5 p.m. here (7 hours ahead) I flew in through Paris and get to spend a day there before heading back to Miami and ten I'm home for three days before going to Kenya for almost 20 days. We do research for mostly Christian organizations that distribute Bibles or gospel reading material for youth and study the impact and outcome that distributing the materials have. I train them on qualitative and quantitative research methods and teach them how to administer surveys to measure behavioral changes and social changes on individuals and communities receiving material. I train them on how to enter the data and what the analysis will provide them and how to use the information we collect to strengthen the ministries and how it can benefit communities and schools by letting them see a picture of their community. It is actually rather similar to the survey that we did last summer studying the social cohesion in West Philly, but I don't actually administer the survey.

I'm going to a Ukranian school on Wednesday to help them to a demonstration and practice run at collecting data. The school is excited that there are going to be Americans there and we are actually doing a Book of Hope distribution and a showing of the Gospel presentation through the movie, "The Godman." I'm really excited to see what that's like. I have been a bit distant from the traditional church and from blatant evangelism, I suppose it is good for me to become a bit more comfortable with it.

In general, I need to make sure that they have proper methods to gather the information so that the results are valid and useful. I'll be doing some of the same things in Kenya. I actually have 3 projects there which is why I'll be there so long. I'm learning so much and I am so excited to go to Africa. I actually go to Ghana right after Kenya and hope that I don't have to come home first. I have to get a few shots and take some Malaria pills. I pasted a few pictures from some of the places I've seen so far in Ukraine. Talk to you later! Give my love to everyone.

No comments: