Friday, October 24, 2008

London Calling

Sitting in some fancy executive lounge for British Airways in Heathrow on my way to kenya. My boss flies so much he has executive status and so i get to tag along. The lounge is fancy pants to the nth degree and i sure don't fit in even though i'm dressed the part (ok, i am a good new refined white man eating my fancy cheese with wine and coffee) Everyone has their financial newspaper and walk around all important like and i just laugh to myself. I'm bummed the phillies lost last night, but hopefully i'll be able to follow them and Barack to victories while i'm in kenya. the thought of being in kenya when obama wins is pretty amazing. If i couldn't be in west philly, kenya is where i'd like to experience such a historic and empowering moment. some of my friends told me how 20000 showed up on the deuce (52nd Street) in west philly a few weeks ago to see obama drive by.

i remember being at an mlk tribute concert on the advent of super tuesday and just getting chills as i sensed the gravity of what an obama presidency would mean to our country, specifically the black community. certainly just blindly voting for obama because he is black is a scary thought, of which i'm not advocating, but seeings as how i believe in much of his politics, plenty i don't agree with, i fullheartedly pray that i get to experience some of the pride that will erupt should he win. As crazy as the parade down broad street will be for the phillies, i imagine the pride, enthusiasm and celebration for an obama victory would exceed that in my old neighborhood. i miss it terribly. haha, well, this post from london took an interesting twist.

if my boss doesn't have to leave for egypt while we're in kenya, i might get to go on a safari!

Godspeed.

No comments: