Sunday, July 27, 2008

Keep me guessing

Jayson Werth should pay me as his good luck charm. In the past two years he has hit 22 homeruns in 171 games. I've attended 7 Phillies games in that time and he's hit 5 homeruns in those games. That works out to attending 4% of his games played and witnessing 23% of his homers. Now on top of that, he wasn't an everyday starter last year, meaning he saw limited at bats if any for four of those games. So, I've seen him hit roughly 25% of his homeruns in two years in about only 2% of his games played. I'd say that gives me a pretty impressive track record. I think I will write the Phils a letter. I'm expecting a fruit/cheese basket in a few weeks.

Last year when I went to the Phillies game in Phoenix I sat behind the Phillies dugout and was talking to Charlie Manuel and insisted that they call up Chris Coste from the minors and within a week, he was on the active roster. I'm not taking total responsibility, again, but I believe there is some credit due.

So yes, I went to the Phillies game this afternoon. It was Rob's birthday on Friday and he put his Economic Stimulus check to work inviting like 40 people to the Phillies game to celebrate. I really respect that and think it's an awesome way to use money and celebrate a birthday. It was cool, I hadn't seen him in a long time and got to talk with him and some other guys.

When I lived with my parents, I was always in the know about the weather and was rarely caught off guard. I certainly don't understand my father's obsession with the weather, but it sure appreciate knowing when to expect a violent down pour and thunderstorm. The rain was coming down sideways like in Braveheart. There's been more lightning in the past week than the combined amount of lightning strikes in my three years in Philly. It's kinda funny, I haven't even lived her three full years yet, but if you ask Ms. Linda, Tyree or most other people, they think I've lived here for five years or more. The total keeps going up much more rapidly than real time.

Anyhow, I love Philly. I enjoy my city and I think it's pretty cool that I have grown to love parts of it that I didn't foresee appreciating. I like walking my city in the rain late at night. It definitely flows with my season right now. My life is quite uncertain to me right now and I find myself drawn to mysterious things. A big song on my heart right now is Caedmon's Call's "Faith My Eyes" The song is a prayer to walk faithfully and find the beauty in mystery. It's almost a plea to God to keep things a mystery so that we are faithful to Him and don't rely on ourselves. That's a pretty bold prayer, and I might not be there, but I'm closer than I was and I'm continuing to move that way. I think that's what God wants of me.


... I don't want to know
Life is better off a mystery

So keep 'em coming these lines on the road
And keep me responsible be it a light or heavy load
And keep me guessing with these blessings in disguise
And I'll walk with grace my feet and faith my eyes

No comments: