Tuesday, August 26, 2008

huh moments


I have dreamed about running alrededor de Lake Atitlan for years. The most important things I took to Pana were my running shoes, camera and lots of books. After the annoying chicken bus ride, I was looking for my sunglasses and as I reached into my trendy guatemalan wool messenger bag, I envisioned my running shoes still on the rack of the overhead bin above my seat. Some gringo is probably wearing them as we speak. Guess I'll have to wait for my next trip. Maybe running the "Human Race" this weekend through NYC with Thaddeus will begin to make up for it just a bit.

Last night I watched Frida on Univision. I appreciate Frida much more, but Diego is still my favorite. I recognized some of the fake sites from Coyoacan and they went to Xochimilco and rode boats in the canals. I could understand almost half of it. I don't have anyone to really practice spanish with. I'm too scared to give my phone numbers to my Guatemalan friends because talking on the phone in Spanish gives me migrainas.

I could sit in coffee shops all day. Philly or Guatemala, no importa.

Coffee, running, pasta, bananas, books. I think those would be my five essentials in life. Cheese is a close sixth. Lean cuisine, healthy choice, and lean pockets weren't on sale tonight and I panicked and didn't know what to eat.

Andrew nearly went blind from rubbing chili powder in his eyes at the Mayan village we visited. Freakin hilarious, I died laughing. i know it's insensitive, but I mean how often can you say that's happened to you. He has an awesome story to tell everyone.

Blellca told me that she wanted me to have authentic Guatemalan food when I first got there. She took me to "Cajun & Grill" I giggled to myself swallowed my tongue and narrowed it down to the Jazz Combo, Louisiana Chicken and Bourbon Chicken. I went with the Bourbon chicken. I love Blellca. Soy Chapin!
Watching George Harrison's Pakistan tribute concert at 1 a.m. with Fernando in the pouring rain.
Andrew eating about 7 choco's in two days.
Guatemalan television olympic coverage. Were they there? Guatemalan's biggest olympic athlete plays badminton. Still no career medals for mis Guates. I could make the team handball team.

No comments: