Saturday, August 9, 2008

Saturday

I grabbed a donut on the way to the Metro this morning. I generally don't partake in donuts, but I suppose Mexican donuts aren't as sweet and fattening as those from the states.

We actually got to sit on the train, which was a welcome change. Mexican trains are insane. You can't get a seat at midnight and the cars are still packed. I was sitting down reading my trendy bilingual youth Bible when two people approached me and asked me "Eres Cristiano?" I started talking to them in my drawn out deliberate Spanish and we had an interesting conversation on the church, missions and ministry, American government and Biblical views on war. People are so patient with me, and I know enough Spanish to have in depth conversations, but at fragmented and inconsistent pace. I tend to think they find this endearing and impressive, but that might just be me.

We went to an art museum, which is actually just someones house. She was really wealthy and best friends with Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera. Rivera is one of my favorite artists and the museum had an eclectic collection of his works from all the stages of his career. I was not real familiar with his early and later works and I spent most of my time in his rooms, although she had an extensive collection of pop art, Kahlo, sculptures and statues, beautiful Jade, Crystal and rubies, Asian art, and much more. (Hundreds of elephants died for this woman to have an elegant house)

I spent a lot of time on a lithograph by Rivera whose translated title was Dreams, Night of the Poor. I pasted the color version, but the black and white lithograph was breathtaking in it's style as well as subject. He conveyed so much pain, hope, sorrow and reality in this work. I don't know what it was exactly, but I had such a hard time removing myself from this piece.

Jim's Mexican family met us at the museum and we headed off to the Market in Xochimilco to grab lunch. I love markets so much. So many colors, smells, sights, people and excitement. We got some barbecoa, carnitas, tortillas and other fixings and headed off to eat lunch. Xochimilco is built on a canal and hundreds of people ride on canoas to enjoy a meal, some marimbas or mariachi music, shop the markets on the islands (or the floating markets in the boats on the canal) or just relax. It was so beautiful and relaxing. The food was amazing tambien and I could have stayed there all day. I read a bit, caught some sun, practiced my spanish and just enjoyed a beautiful town. I thought I had to go to Italy to experience such an extended system of canals. I took lots of pictures, but this cheap Google picture will have to do until I have my camera cable.

We went out for some cheap Mexican beer and amazing tacos to celebrate one of Andrew's friends Birthday. Good times.

No comments: