Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Oh Can't You See What Love Has Done!

"La paz justa y democratica no es simplement el cese de la guerra, implica exigencias basicas para la existencia del ser humano como la dignidad de la persona su promociĆ³n humana y desarollo integral."


~Comandante Rolando Moran

(A just and democratic peace is not simply the absence of war, it demands fulfillment of the essential needs of humanity through dignity, empowerment and development.)


I was in a U2 mood today. I suppose that happens quite often. I was wearing a U2 shirt too, which makes that even easier. We spent some time in the centro de Guatemala City and it's rather beautiful with the cathedral and the palace. Guatemalan history is so beautiful and so painful, which fits well into the juxtaposition of nearly everything in my life these days. I really enjoy learning more about the process of peace in general and how it plays out in different areas of the world, particularly through the eyes of people from different cultures. I also bounce my thoughts of peace off my thoughts of love and how it plays out in me in my anger, care, frustrations and faults. I really liked that quote above regarding peace. It was part of the peace treaty in Guatemala from 12 years ago. There was a bloody and excruciating 36 year civil war that still impacts the country today in so many ways. I would encourage anyone to read about it or ask your favorite Chapino to share with you. (As usual the United States muddied the water, and I'll leave it at that for now)


Anyhow, what's important is the pursuit of peace. "Seek peace and pursue it," as David wrote. All throughout the Scriptures and pages of speeches and works of my favorite peacemakers, there echos this sentiment that peace is not a vacuum, it is not empty, but it is a term that implies fullness, wholeness and presence, not absence.

As I was reflecting on peace, I was feeling "Window in the Sky." I was singing it throughout the day, I tried to traducirlo a Espanol and sing it in Spanish, that's always fun, a combination of bad linguistics and a poor voice. It's rather freeing though to embrace my imperfections and enjoy the best that I can produce and just make a joyful noise and not worry about what others say. I don't really care what you think ;c) I should be able to imbed the video, but alas, I'm technically challenged ahorita, so you can just click on the title to see the video. Higly recommended!

Window in the Sky

The shackles are undone
The bullets quit the gun
The heat that’s in the sun
Will keep us when there’s none
The rule has been disproved
The stone it has been moved
The grave is now a groove
All debts are removed

Oh can’t you see what love has done?
Oh can’t you see what love has done?
Oh can’t you see what love has done?
What it’s done to me?

Love makes strange enemies
Makes love where love may please
The soul and its striptease
Hate brought to its knees
The sky over our head

We can reach it from our bed
You let me in your heart
And out of my head, head…
Please don’t ever let me out of you

I’ve got no shame, oh no, oh no Oh can’t you see what love has done? Oh can’t you see? Oh can’t you see what love has done? What it’s doing to me?


I know I hurt you and I made you cry
Did everything but murder you and I
But love left a window in the skies
And to love I rhapsodize

To every broken heart
For every heart that cries
Love left a window in the skies
And to love I rhapsodize

No comments: